Coilgun Power

Microcontroller/Coilgun Ideas and Support

Main HomeMain Home  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Automatic Reloading

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Automatic Reloading   Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:13 pm

I am going to build a coilgun that can charge, fire, and reload it self. I can have it charge and fire fine but the reloading is the hard part. Does anyone have an idea how to make something like this? I was thinking of using a solenoid that would pull back allowing a projectile to fall into the chamber then push it forward to be fired.

Thanks,
Justin
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://coilgunpower.com
DaveyPocket

PostSubject: That would be good.   Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:53 pm

Yes, the solenoid would be good, but you have to make sure that no more than one projectile is pushed into the chamber. Also, when the solenoid goes forward after it has allowed a projectile to come in, you have to make sure it doesn't push the projectile forward into the coil. If you are going to go through with this idea, you would have to know if the projectiles are going to be loaded from the top, the side, or the bottom, or if it will use a spring to push the projectile through the clip. Or there is an alternative.

Alternative:
Attach the projectile to some sort of belt and feed them through the chamber, and let the coil take the projectile off the belt and fire it. Then have a motor moving the belt and have it synchronized with the recharging and firing sequences of the coilgun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Reloading   Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:59 am

I have a solenoid that I pulled from some broken parts of a car. It is a push type solenoid with spring return, perfect. I was planing to use the same optical trigger as my hand held gun and have the solenoid punch the projectile into the coil. I was going to get a smaller HV capacitor and use that to deliver the punch.

I was thinking of have it fed through the top and have it gravity loaded for simplicity. I am not very good with mechanics.

The belt idea... is that like a machine gun? What kind of belt do you propose? I like the idea, but I think that the projectile will lose power as it first has to be pulled off the belt and the rounds are not reusable without remaking a belt.

Instead of using a 555 timer like in my current charger I will use an AVR since I need some brains anyway. I will have the AVR use PWM to create HV, it can then stop the charging and fire.
Back to top Go down
DaveyPocket

PostSubject: Yes.   Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Exactly like a machine gun belt. Machine gun belt's are totally reusable, it just takes a while to put rounds back in. But for your coilgun, I would have to think of a way to do that. How big are your projectiles and what are they? And how much do they weigh? And for the projectile being pulled off the belt, the solenoid would push it off, then the coil will do the rest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Reloading   Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:07 pm

The projectiles will be solid metal rods a little less then 1/4" in diameter and 1/2" long. I don't know the specifics. I think that the belt idea would look a lot cooler, but it will be a lot more complicated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Reloading   

Back to top Go down

Automatic Reloading
Page 1 of 1